Chair: Brandon Broadnax
In the Organizing Committee at Local 1853, our team strives to bring the power of job rights to the people with the help of the International UAW Organizers. The goal of the Organizing Committee is to help other workers at different plants gain their own voice in the work place. Ultimately, giving them the ability for collective bargaining to achieve a fair and honest contract. Organizing is a very important centerpiece within the union, because without a voice, you’re on the chopping block. Without a voice, your wages and benefits are subject to be cut at any time. In a nutshell, it’s a committee that fights for workers to obtain better working conditions, higher pay, increased benefits and safety regulations. Collective bargaining is an empowered workforce which helps the middle class achieve the American dream.
A WORKER HAS A RIGHT
YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO:
• Join a union.
• Talk to your co-workers about joining a union.
• Pass out literature about joining a union (in non-work areas during non-work times).
• Sign up your coworkers on petitions in non-work areas and during non-work times.
• Join with your coworkers for the purpose of forming a union.
• Join with your coworkers for the purpose of improving working conditions in your place of employment.
The above rights are spelled out in Section 7 of the National Labor Relations Act.